Subject: [Leica] Capa and the Wide Angle Lens
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 14:00:12 -0400

At 01:06 PM 4/4/99 +0200, Deniz Saylan wrote:
>And in former times Robert Capa already said: If the picture isnīt good,
you wasnīt
>close enough.

Capa DID say this, but it is idiotic.  Pace to my good friend, the noted
Capa authority and professional photographer, Mike Fletcher, but, frankly,
maybe someone should have clued Capa in to long-focus lenses!

I am occasionally photographed (I am a minor player in my community, and a
trial attorney, so I, from time to time, find myself at the center of some
controversial development, with lots of press photographers present.)  I'm
gonna slug the next SOB with a 35mm lens who feels that this gives him the
right to get in my face.  I'm just plain sick of it.

The last time I was photographed, thankfully, the photographer shifted to
an 85mm lens at my request and stood fifteen feet away -- still too close,
but what the hey.  (They didn't run the shot, though one of our group DID
read the article in his first issue of our local paper, and was amused to
find me mentioned and quoted.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!