Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 07:17:25 +0200

Thanks to the LUGgers who corrected me on the details of the
Minimata photo.  It is still possible, though, that what Smith's darkroom
assistant said to my friend is true, namely that Smith liked to burn things
way, way down in the darkroom, which gives many shots a very different feel
than the light he was actually shooting in.

Second, the point that setting up shots was okay *then* but not *now*
also makes sense to me, but only when we're talking about strict
photojournalism.
Perhaps because so much time has elapsed, I think most people tend to view
the work of Smith, Doisneau, Brandt, etc., as "art" rather than journalism.
And just as we allow, say, satire, surrealism, indeed all kinds of poetic
justice in literary genres, so there must also be a place for "photographic
justice" in photography, IMHO.

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw