Subject: Re: [Leica] I missed it.
From: "Claes Bjerner" <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:30:38 +0200

Eric wrote:
> Actually, it was at least in part abuse of alcohol and amphetamines that
> killed him. Although it was a fall in a convenience store while picking up
> some cat food that finally killed him.

Eric,
Your total lack of respect for a dead colleague is quite surprising. Of
course, you are often extremely opinionated in your writings, but
nevertheless your frequent contributions tend to inspire a constructive and
fruitful debate.

> The Truth
> was very essential to Gene! And it was his resentless search for the truth
> that eventually killed him.

With that I meant to emphasize the fact that Gene never really recovered
from the very severe physical beatings he received from the Chisso henchmen.
As you know Chisso was the company who allowed their mercury waste to
pollute Minamata Bay.

I have no reason to doubt your claim that Gene abused alcohol and
amphetamines at the time when he died of a stroke. You have probably read
that in a reliable book! But please keep in mind that Gene Smith was an
ailing man full of physical pain as well as having several mental scars.
Eric, I doubt anyone of us could get through a third of Gene´s experience
without the relief of a painkiller.

Claes