Subject: Re: [Leica] seeking M6 lens opinions
From: "Art Peterson" <peterson_art@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 07:57:27 PST

Bruce,

Personal preferences here, so bear with a little explanation.  For me,
the ideal 3-lens M6 outfit, particularly for the types of shooting you
expect to do ("street pics, snapshots of kids, and landscapes"), would
be 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm; and the ideal 2-lens outfit would be 35mm and
90mm; and the best choice for a solitary lens would be 50mm.

So the question is, how many lenses will you own within what period of
time.  If by "first lens" you mean that you'll have only that one lens
for the foreseeable future, go with the 50mm.  But if you simply mean
that you plan to buy one lens "first" but more lenses before long (and
how long that "long" is, you must decide), then if you expect to wind up
with two lenses, go with the 35mm now; or if you expect to wind up with
three lenses, go with the 50mm now, and then you'll be able to tell
(from whether your shooting makes you want most often a longer or
shorter focal length) in which order to buy the 35mm and 90mm lenses.

As for speed, I don't understand why your choice is between a "2/50, or
a 1.4/35."  If you really need the stop, then the choice is between
1.4/50 and 1.4/35; but if you don't need it, then go with either the
2/50 or 2/35, and save yourself the size, weight, and money.  And if you
plan on a 2-lens outfit now (say, 2/35mm and 2.8/90mm), you can always
add the 1/50 Noctilux for dim light, later on, when you REALLY get
hooked! :)

Finally, I'd say forget "steady[ing] the camera" and buy the lenses in
black or chrome for financial reasons or for aesthetic reasons.  For me,
black lenses look fine on a chrome camera, and (I think) they may have a
slight price advantage in some (if not all) cases.

I hope that helps,

Art Peterson

- ----Original Message Follows----