Subject: Re: [Leica] That eBay thing
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 07:22:02 PST

My Online Auction deals:

late Chrome M6, I'd swear it was brand new: 1400.00
Saunders 11X14 4-bladed Universal Easel, like new condition: 75.00
Minolta Autocord, exc. cond.: 66.00
Nikkor Enlarging Lens f2.8, like new: 45.00
Nikon 8008, 35-105 AF, both like new: 400.00

If you are patient, and careful, you can walk away with some great
bargains.  The great thing about Ebay is that as a seller, you can get
close to(and even sometimes above!) what dealers get for equipment;
instead of waiting forever in newspaper classifieds, or taking a bath on
selling to a dealer.  I think some people in the "Ebay community" are a
little bit out of control with their requests for positive feedback,
however.

- -Paul

>Like some of you, I check into eBay periodically, in hopes of getting a
>bargain., and more often than not, I come away wondering if bidders
have
>actually priced things out in advance, because prices seem to rise up
to,
>and beyond, normal resale prices from dealers, who take credit cards
and
>offer return policies! I admit I've contributed a little to this
whackiness
>in a recent winning bid on a US Robotics Courier I-Modem. Whoops, it
can't
>use analog phone lines too?? Nuts! Fortunately, I got back *most* of my
>money quickly in resale, but it did drive home a point about knowing
what
>you're bidding on, and at what point you've got to stop and let someone
else
>carry the goods home!
>
>But I'm happy to say that I've since scored a great deal, and to be
honest,
>I don't know why: I was looking over some Hasselblad listings, and
found a
>nice 500c outfit that had only one other bidder. The price was already
up to
>$700, which would've made it an okay deal, but reading that ad twice, I
>realized that though the camera body was old,  it included a prism
finder,
>modern A12 back and 80CF lens! Evidently not one for glowing
descriptions,
>the seller left a tersely worded mention of some minor abrasion on the
lens
>barrel, said that the prism was not pretty, but all else was okay. This
>sounded good to me, and at $890, I walked away with it.
>
>What arrived was essentially as advertised, but need of refoaming and a
CLA