Subject: Re: [Leica] Strange lens found
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 21:54:59 -0800

Martin Howard wrote:

>I attended a boot sale yesterday evening: a family just outside of town
>were moving and selling off 90% of all the stuff they've 'assembled'
>during the years.  They'd stuck a sign by the road, so we turned off to
>take a peek.
>
>Outside the house in the garden were rows and rows of tables with the
>most amazing junk on them.  Among the items were a number of beaten
>up cameras and lenses.  I found something called an APO Elmarit in 75mm
>f/2.4 that fits my M3 (I think it says "APO": The markings are a little
>worn).  It's pretty well used, but apart from a couple of minor marks on
>the front element, the glass is ok.  After a little haggling I ended up
>paying 300 SEK for it (about $30) so I'm rather happy ;-)  I haven't
>taken any pictures with it yet, so I don't know if it focuses properly
>or what the images from it look like.
>
>Does anyone know what this is?  I can't find it in any of the books I
>have.
>
>Also, I need a finder for this, since I've only got an M3.  Did Leitz
>ever manufacture a separate finder for 75mm?

The only 75/2.4 lens I've heard of was a prototype Elcan Apo lens, and I
have no idea how many have been made. Very few, in any case. Various
people, Tom Abrahammsson and myself among others, have petitioned Leica to
manufacture this lens. I would be delighted to have such an item.

Obviously, if the lens you got is one of the prototypes, you should
probably sell it and buy yourself a new car from the proceeds.

Can I come to garage sales with you sometime?

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com