Subject: [Leica] Re: which SLR for me?--was which M for me?
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:06:57 -0500

On Wed, 31 Mar 99, Mary Kephart wrote:

<SNIP>
>Today I saw an R7 with a 60mm macro in ex+ condition.  It is a different
>world from the "M's,"  but this combo seemed very pleasing to me.  I'd
>appreciate comments from anyone with experience with the R7, the 60 macro
>lens and/or this combo.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>MK

Mary,

I can't say anything about the R7 (others certainly will) but I've used the
60 Macro for nearly 20 years.  Optically, the 60 macro is a typical Leica-R
lens: unearthly rich detail, color saturation to die for, excellent control
of flare, blah blah blah ... not to mention typical macro-lens stuff like
flat field and continuous focus from infinity to half life-size.

Mechanically it hasn't been as robust as my other Leica-R primes.  Since
1980 it's been in the shop twice for idiopathic helix repair/replacement
vs. once each for my 35 (dropped it) and 90 (aperture ring gummy)
Summicron-R lenses.

I've used the 60 on the R4sP and the Leicaflex SL; it balances well on
either body.

Doug Herr
Sacramento