Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: For Sale Postings
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 12:41:27 -0800

The only thing to clearly emerge from the recent discussion regarding Friday
"for sale" postings is that there is no consensus. There is, however, a
policy imposed by the operator of the list - sent, I presume, to everyone
when they join. It reads:

"It is acceptable for individuals occasionally to post advertisements to
sell
cameras, and very much acceptable for individuals to post requests to buy
cameras. Any user who is obviously conducting a business in the sale of
cameras will be removed from the list."

(Note that the latter part is largely ignored)

Anything else is simply an attempt to restrict the content of the list. To
restrict FS posts to Fridays because some people don't want to read them
opens the door to further restrictions. M users might not want to read R
postings and ask that they be limited to certain days. Black and white
discussion might have to be kept to certain days so that those who soot
color exclusively aren't offended. Etc., etc.  "For Sale" is simply a topic
of discussion and should be treated the same as any other. Even if you're
not in the market to make a purchase, keeping an eye on FS posts is
interesting to some and a good way to keep an eye on the market.

Quite a few LUGGers pointed out that waiting till Friday to post a FS item
means that they often don't wait and sell or trade the item in elsewhere.
Thus denying LUG members the opportunity to buy.

If we try to get into the "consensus" of regulating the content of this
list, it will cease to be a place for the exchange of ideas and information
Leica.

As I will say (hopefully) for the last time, common curtesy dictates that
you identify the basic content of a posting on the subject line. Anyone who
wants to delete without reading is only inconvenienced by one keystroke.
Anything else is self-imposed regulation - unnecessary and a detriment to
the stated purpose of a list like this.

Bryan