Subject: RE: [Leica] which M for me?
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 14:11:14 +0000

At 12:14 PM 3/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Hold it a second. I would not give up by Nikon gear when getting into Leica.
>I own both, and many's the time when I prefer the Nikon. For automatic fill
>flash situations; when shooting moving people with autofocus;

He did say manual focus though. Depth of field preview, which you mentioned
remaining the only feature on Nikon F's that may hold an advantage over the
M's. Except maybe sync speed and 100% viewing screen accuracy.

To the original poster; I'm surprised to hear that an M4 is more expensive
than an M6, though I don't know where you are shopping and how clean a
camera you are looking for. The M4 viewfinder has fewer framelines (lacks
75 and 28) affording a less cluttered view. It also has a self timer which
I admit is handy to have. The M6 of course has the meter, though you may
prefer a hand held meter. Personally I would go with the M6. I have both.
And I have to say I am baseing my judgement on which camera comes out of my
bag most often on a shoot (if they both don't come out).

I suggest you rent an M6 and try it out. I would also suggest wearing
gloves when handling Leicas before making a purchase. I swear there is an
addictive quality to the touch.

Good luck

Bill Franson