Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Caps and Filters
From: "4season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 09:34:44 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
[speaking of the 35 Summicron]
>I've heard that it exists caps that fit right on the hoods, do you know
these?
>Otherwise, what kind of system do you use?

Now lenshoods are one area where Leica really has made great improvements in
terms of convenience, and today, all of my lenses have ones which need never
be removed or reversed.

For 35 Summicron #2484XXX, I went out, paid way too much money, and got the
current Leica #12526 hood and #14043 cap. $100 for the set, and they look so
insignificant! But it's excellent mechanical protection for your lens, so
throw out the UV filter-you'll never miss it. This simple upgrade makes the
lens a real pleasure to use.

As for the 50...is that one of the '70s models which took the round, slotted
hood? If so, you have my sympathies. But plastic is good here, because it's
very impact resistant. I'd leave the UV filter in place, leave the lenshood
in place, and not bother to cap it.  UV filters make great lenscaps for the
lazy!

Jeff