Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Autofocus & Leica
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:14:06 +0200

Hi Dan,

While I agree that the film loading may be a bit old-fashioned, I also find that

it works extremely well, and I happily pay this price for having the other
attributes
of Leica M.

DX coding would be totally useless to me, since I shoot very few films at the
nominal
speed--really only Fuji Provia 100 and Kodak E200.

Autofocus would be equally useless. In fact, the more I use my M-system, the
more
do I appreciate the genius of its manual rangefinder focusing system. I have my
autofocus
SLR, and also a point-and-shoot. Whenever I use one of them, I am never sure
that it
has focused on what I intend. In fast action, like a street party, I found
recently, after using
both my autofocus SLR and my Leica M that the M gave me a higher proportion of
sharp
slides than the SLR (a Pentax PZ1-P, by the way).

Leica will never re-gain a sizable market share, no matter what they do with the
R series.
Of course, it depends on what you mean by "sizable", but certainly it will never
approach
the sales figures of any of the big four Japanese companies, nor should it try
to.

Nathan

D Khong wrote:

> While film loading is an essential part of handling any camera, I find that
> film loading on my F90 or G2 or even my P&S a breeze compared to my M6.
> With the former I always get frame #1 after a short whirrrrrr.  The
> baseplate on the M6 is a pain, the flap at the back offers at most a peek,
> and when the film is wound I have to consciously eye the rewind knob to
> confirm that the film is truly running.  Except for the challenge to my
> dexterity everytime I load the M6, and for the supposedly stronger
> construction of the M body (as contributed by the baseplate design), I find
> the leica M film loading design terribly archaic.
>
> I welcome the DX system as I have a tendency to forget to reset the film
> speed on my M6 especially when I change to a different film speed.  It is
> so nice to just pop in the film and know that the ISO setting is taken care
> of.
>
> Electronic shutters are far far more accurate than the majority of
> mechanical shutters.
>
> I am sure that when Leica goes AF in their SLR series, they will regain a
> sizeable market share.
>
> Dan K.

- --
Nathan Wajsman