Subject: Re: Antw: [Leica] Autofocus & Leica- Reason For Rom
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:27:08 +0200

Robert,

I don't think the camera will check the aperture when fired.
It's not an Olympus.
That's why the R8 need to know before release what will
be the real aperture (including vignetting which is
different at
each aperture and on each lens)
in order to calculate more precisely the exposition.
With lenses without ROM the camera will guess a little bit.
;-)

Leica said that small lenses with ROM permit shorter time
parallax than bigger
because thanks to the ROM the camera knows the exact delay
before the
diaphragm is closed and can start earlier the process of firing.
With a 280/2,8 it will be longer than with a 50/2.
This may be even more important with a motor.  :-(
ROM are passive, not active as far as I know.
They don't calculate anything. It's the camera which will calculate
with the info stored at the factory inside the ROM.
With lenses without ROM, the camera will choose the longer delay.

Now, will you see any difference on you picts ?
With slides at the Olympic Games maybe.
;-)

Lucien