Subject: [Leica] Re: Kobalux 21 2.8
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 23:02:39 +0900

Hi B.D.,

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 16:16:53 -0500, "B. D. Colen"
<bdcolen@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I've seen this lens listed on Ebay. It certainly looks impressive in the
>photo, but does anyone know if it actually is impressive?
All I have to offer is heresay, namely that this lens (and the Avenon
21/2.8-28/2.8) fall into the "decent and affordable" category.
"Decent" being not all that close to "impressive."

I think Dan Khong had one of the 21mm lenses (either Kobalux or
Avenon), and said that it was OK but lacked the "punch" of his other
Leica lenses.  As I remember he got rid of it, bit the bullet, and
bought an Elmarit-M (Dan---please correct me if I'm wrong).  A few
others on the list tried them and moved on; I think a couple may have
bought and kept one.  I haven't seen any raves about performance,
either here or in the magazines.

The pickings in superwide-ish alternatives to new Leica-M lenses are
kind of slim.  The Leica/Super Angulons are not much cheaper than new
Elmarits and don't meter on an M6 without surgery.  The Russar seems
to have a very nice price/performance ratio, but you may have to try
several samples to find a good one, it doesn't rangefinder focus, and
the aperture ring interface doesn't look very convenient.  The
Kobalux/Avenons are available, and seem to be decent, but it's hard to
get excited about them.  Rarity and high prices make
Contax/Nikon/Canon L-mount alternatives unattractive.

Ricoh has a new GR L-mount 21/3.5 lens coming out in Japan this week,
and magazine buzz so far is pretty favorable.  Ricoh seems to have
traded even illumination for compactness, though, with not only
magazine reviews but Ricoh's own ads pointing out that corner fall-off
is noticeable.  All this, plus a limited production run and limited
availability outside Japan, for $US900+.

I waded into 21mm by getting a Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 for my Contax
G1/G2.  I found I liked the focal length, and used it more than I
expected.  So I bit the bullet and got an Elmarit-M 21/2.8 Asph for my
Leica Ms.

If you like to use wide apertures a lot, and you like what you see at
wide apertures with your current Summicrons/Summiluxes/whatever, and
if 21mm is going to be more than a couple times a year lens for you,
there may not be a lot of wiggle room out there.

Let us know how it goes,

PB

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan