Subject: Re: [Leica] New M-6 Owner
From: "Bill" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:25:31 -0800

Frank from Tulsa writes:

>How accurate is the meter? Is there any tips or advice when using the
>built in metering system?

I find that the rangefinder is right on.  When I first bought my M6, I tried
it with slide film (which is not my usual film type).  I moved the film from
the M6 to an M3/with a MR meter to an R6 while shooting a street faire.  You
could not tell by the final slides where the changes in camera bodies had been
made.  Look at your manual to see where the approximate area of coverage is.
I try to carry a grey card and try to take an initial reading on that card.  I
have found that if I relax and go with the ttl metering I am ok with at least
95% of the shots.

>Is black and white preferred over color transparencies with the M-6?

Not necessarily.  I prefer black and white for several reasons, but these are
personal and have nothing to do with the camera body (rather it is that I can
control the results of black and white given my present state of process
ability).  But the times the few times that I shoot color transparancies, I
get great results.

As regards rangefinder focus (vs. SLR focus which I use the same techniques
since I started with rangefinder), I usually will have the lens set to very
close to the proper distance as I walk around "photo-seeing" (similar to
sightseeing).  With a 35mm lens, I will usually have it set on the hyperfocal
distance.  Very fast to change to control a specific shot.  There have been a
lot of tips in this forum...one of which is to use something such as a wire
tie positioned to the bottom (or wherever you are comfortable) so that you
know by feel at which distance the lens is positioned.

Hope this helps,
Bill ohlen@lightspeed.net