Subject: [Leica] RE: learn to post your message
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:09:19 -700

On 25 Mar 99, Alan Ball wrote, at least in part:

> I'd argue against you that quite a few posters do not leave enough of the
> original posts, and therefore all too often seem to argue with non
> existent entities, when you catch the thread en route.

But, Alan, you're making a case for the list 'owing' you the whole
schmear if you come late to the thread. It's the reader's
responsibility to keep up with the threads or not; the list owes
you nothing.

> I might also suggest it is more efficient to answer ABOVE the original
> text(s) rather than under them, as to permit the usage of the preview
> window of most mail clients.

I purposely answer *under* a well edited snippet, feeling that it
gives the reader a quick memory jog re: what is to come.

> It also helps if the poster 'slices' his opinions in multiple paragraphs,
> well separated, making it easier for others to answer to a specific point
> of the argument, and making that point more visible to the other readers.

Yep, that is good writing technique. Should always be practiced.

> Lastly, it certainly helps to make the effort of mentionning the name of
> the original poster when answering to a post,

Most email s/w allows this to be done as boilerplate. Highly
recommended.
- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     The precept: Judge not, that ye be not judged... is an
     abdication of moral responsibility. It is a moral blank
     check one gives to others in exchange for a moral blank
     check one expects for oneself. The moral principle to adopt
     is: Judge, and be prepared to be judged.
                 -- Ayn Rand