Subject: [Leica] Fungus
From: "Christopher Nauta" <summarex@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:31:29 PST

- -
  Offered to me is a 35/2 with the built-in eyes for the M3.
Unfortunately, the rear element has some white, wispy fungus happily
living on what appears to be the inside of the rear element. Otherwise
perfect, price is 400$ give or take.
   The only experience I have with fungus-ridden glass is one of my view
lenses- a Goerz 16in tele-megor. I have never seen a noticeable
depreciation in the image quality with this lens, however I suspect the
size of the format may mitigate the effects anyway. Also the fungus is
colorless, and grows in a less lattice-like structure. I have used every
reasonable cleaner to remedy this and failed.
    Is there a chemical or guerrilla tactic to removing fungus, or does
the glass need to be polished- likely introducing excess curvature? Even
after cleaning, do spores remain in the barrell, waiting for prime
conditions to re-infect the glass?

   Fungally,
       Chris
- -