Subject: Re: [Leica] Resale value? Not an issue
From: "4season" <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 01:17:55 -0700

I've done a lot of buying and selling in the past, and have been grateful
for good resale value, because I've been able to experiment with lots of
gear and
not spend too much money when all was said and done. Exposure to so much
good equipment has really helped me to determine what works for me and what
doesn't.

Things I've sold off, and why:

Fuji GS645 folder, GA645 autofocus: I busted the first one, twice. And the
second couldn't focus in low light. Think Fuji has the right idea though.

Mamiya Six: Not an available light camera, and why not have an SLR if you're
carrying a tripod about? The GA645 is handier.

Rolleiflex SL66: Terrific macro camera, and terrifically expensive.
Brilliant in some areas, poorly designed and built in others. Finally
figured I was better off with a view camera.

Leica IIIc: Selling was probably a mistake! But mine needed lots of help
before it'd be
a user.

Leica R4s: No mistake in selling this one; woof, woof!

2X Hasselblad 500c: Cheaper to modernize the system by buying a newer body,
rather than adding an Accu-Matte + wind crank to these.

Nikon F3: Funds from sale paid for...

Leica M4-2: I got out of 35mm altogether for awhile, went through a series
of MF rangefinder cameras for everyday use.

Leica M3: Maybe a mistake to sell, but whoops, where's the quick film
CLA and new shutter curtains.

Kiev 60: Well, it was fun, but real heavy, and mechanically and optically,
no Hasselblad. I did keep my favorite 30mm fisheye though.

Leica M4: Nice camera! But selling it off allowed me to get more glass for
the M6 which replaced it, so...

Nikon F2AS: I much preferred the F3 and would've prefered even
an F2A or a plain, meterless pentaprism.

Nikon F4e: Hated to sell it! But for now, the M-system has been
keeping me plenty busy. Nevertheless, this is my favorite 35mm SLR to date.

Wista DX: THAT was one I was kicking myself over for some time, 'till I
found an even better replacement last year :-) Rather, it *will* be better
once I get a new bellows that doesn't leak like a sieve. I think the entire
outfit weighs less than some big 35mm setups I've carried.

Why not keep more stuff? Mostly, I lose interest in any gear that's not
being used a lot. I admit I've been working on an excuse to get a IIIc/IIIf
(pocket camera?) and late M3 (backup body?), but they're not quite at the
top of my ideas list.

Jeff