Subject: [Leica] Re: B&W slides
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 20:53:49 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 06:16 AM 3/23/99 +0000, you wrote:
> >Is there a hassle free way to make B&W slides on your own?
>
>  From what? Prints, negatives or slides?
>
> If from prints, and you don't mind a bit of color shift, Fuji Sensia makes
> very nice slides from black and white prints. You can also use Kodak's
> reversal kit that works with TMax 100. Very nice stuff. From negs. there
> are ways, but I don't recommend it. One old film was processed in Dektol,
> shot straight off the negative. Down and dirty, poor image quality.

Directly from negs (B&W) I have produced beautiful, luminous B&W
transparencies on Tech Pan, developed to high gamma in HC110. If this is what
you have in mind, let me know and I'll dig up my notes. You will need to
experiment some, but it's well worth the effort.

> If you want the best quality, go with the Kodak kit. It's a lot of work,
> takes a long time, and you have to be careful, and adjust development time
> as you process more film in the developer. Six steps if I remember.

Direct originals exposed on Tmax.

> Sensia works too. Especially if you do all of them at the same time. Then
> there isn't a worry of color variations. That's what I use, normally.

For copy work, if this ends up a little flat, try a half-stop underexposure
with a half-stop "push". Cleans up the whites without excess contrast.
- -Mike