Subject: Re: [Leica] AA, HCB & Leicas
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:55:49 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
> >
> > Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> > >  It averages out in this case in my overblown opinion to
> > > the vision of a great artist and craftsman whose subject matter is rural
> > > instead of urban.
> > > Mark Rabiner
> >
> > Right - Criticizing AA for not shooting what HCB shoots is a bit like
> > criticizing Wyeth for not being Hopper, or Durant for not being Daumier...Art
> > is art is art...and different artists see and interpret different things...and
> > thank God there isn't just one vision out there...
> >
> > On the other track - sure, you can shoot street life with a 'Blad,' or
> > landscapes with an M6...but that's not what either camera is really intended
> > for....
> >
> > B. D.
>
> I just loved your phrase or idea "criticizing Wyeth for not being
> Hopper." Both for who they are and the interesting oppositeness of their
> styles and the fact that I know who they are. The Durant and Daumier
> slide shows I snoozed through no doubt.
> Art is a dog that got put to sleep a long time ago.
> A Friend of mine just got a big slick book done by a photographer who
> street shoots a Blad, narrow selective focus, full frame black border
> very effective. Lets not forget Victor developed the 'Blad for shooting
> his birds and not after they were stuffed.
> The mentality of going out with tech film or Agfapan 25 and a nice
> tripod to support your Leica M is not big here on the lug unless you
> count Erwin testing a lens. But I have gone through those phases and
> have seen it lurking elseware. You want to tell them "Hey, why not just
> shoot sheet film!" but it's best to humor them. They're having fun and
> they're not hurting anybody. They might even have an angle.
> Neither camera is a tripod or handheld camera. Both can be used
> carefully or quickly. Both look great next to each other in the same
> camera bag.
> Mark Rabiner

I think we're on the same wave length here...and you did better than I, in that I
didn't even take the damn course - no way I was going to memorize all those slides -
but Durant (if I've spelled it right) was a 19th century American landscape painter
- - and I do mean landscapes! - while Daumier (whose name I'm also probably
misspelling as I would my own if given half a chance) was a french 19th century
artist who did a lot of "socially relevant" drawings, etchings, what ever - I'm sure
someone on the LUG can correct us both...but Durant was AA to Daumier's HCB.. :-)