Subject: [Leica] old outmoded lightmetering........
From: "topher" <topher@netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:35:38 +0800

hailing all camera historians.........
   I read somewhere (quite a while ago, so I can't remember where) that for
awhile (ie before normal lightmeters) people where using some sort of small
prism device which you looked through and tried to match variably dark
numbers against the scene which you were photographing.....if my description
is good enough to understand, has anyone actually used one of these? Did
Leica make one? I understand they weren't particularly accurate, but they
would be better than nothing in situations where the "sunny 16" rule didn't
apply (indoors) and they would be a nice "retro" accessory for a IIIf or
something similar...
   As for the sharpness debate, my opinion has always been if there is fine
detail that is important to the photograph, then you need sharpness.....if
detail is not important to the composition, then you don't! I'd say I need
it about 50% of the time; every photo's different.....but it's nice to have
it when you need it...........
   Flame me, please....i love abuse.....

   topher