Subject: Re: [Leica] M Small Viewfinder comments
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:48:23 EST

Hi Kirk,

I know Max Berek did not design the Xenon lens, that this was a Schneider
design made with Schneider's permission with issues of Taylor-Hobson patent
rights as well.  I apologize for not being clear here, and it may be
misleading.  I was merely alluding to the Xenon name being one of those
"magical" sounding names from the screwmount past.  Along with Summarex
(arguably the coolest lens name ever) and Thambar.

I am also curious as to the many errors Marc alludes too.

Please remember the LHSA is an all volunteer organization.  We all devote many
hours of our time to make it a good organization and the Viewfinder is a key
part of it.  Roy Moss works very hard to make the Viewfinder the wonderful
journal it is.  The contributors work hard to submit the best and most
interesting articles they can.  We are all human, and if errors do creep in
against our best efforts, please excuse us for our human frailty.  Not all of
the articles in the Viewfinder may appeal to everyone, but we do try and
present a balance which appeals best to our membership.

I am puzzled as to Marc's stating that this is the best issue of Viewfinder
ever, but that Roy Moss doesn't do a good job as editor.  Roy is responsible
for putting out the journal at a very high level consistently every quarter.
I for one think he does an admirable job and it is indeed a labor of love.
Roy believes that the author's articles should stand on their own merit
without having to be extensively rewritten or refereed.  This is his call as
editor.  Marc may not agree and is indeed entitled to his opinion.  As far as
errors go, when in doubt, Roy does consult with recognized Leica authorities
such as Jim Lager.

I think the vast majority of LHSA membership would agree that the LHSA
Viewfinder is consistently the best quarterly publication today devoted to the
Leica.  This is entirely due to the efforts of Roy and our contributors.  If
anyone on the LUG who is an LHSA member would like to contribute to the
Viewfinder, please feel free to do so.  It will only make all of our enjoyment
of the Leica greater still!

Bill Rosauer
President, LHSA