Subject: Re: [Leica] Our existential pleasures
From: Alan Ball <alanball@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 07:20:39 +0100

Jeff,

I often follow the same eye-training path as you. That is how I discovered
the power of the ultra-wide angle angle of view and realised it was much
more usable than what the literature suggests. A few days with the 21mm
alone gave me some of my best ever pics. Each focal length deserves such
exercise, and then the 'angst' of not having the 'needed' lens diminishes
grandly. I would even recommend not to carry all the M lenses along, as
compact and light as they are. Maybe there are situations that really do
'require' a certain focal length, but in 90 pct of cases it is more
interesting to get round those so-called requirements by choosing
unconventional angles of view rather than changing lenses.

To go back to other aspects of this thread, the analogies with other fields
of creation or other hobbies, I find that photography, as respectable and
potentialy great as it is, is an activity that allows more incompetence and
self indulgence than others.

It does not take that much work and knowledge to make an acceptable
picture. I'm constantly surprised by the quantity of
unsignificant-but-acceptable pictures that get printed and totally amazed
by the much greater avalanche of unsignificant-but-acceptable pics that get
published on the web.

It takes a hell of a lot more training to perform correctly an audible
piano concerto and, from what I can see, very few amateur musicians (in the
traditional sense of the word) dare to publish their sound clips on the web
(not talking 'bout rap or techno sampling competitions here).

I guess that might be at least part of the reason I chose photography, and
now that I own the photographic Steinway, I realise I am far from deserving
it, on creativity grounds anyway (I've worked my butt of to pay for those
gems). How many luggers feel that way ?

Alan