Subject: Re: [Leica] Help evaluating a 135/2.8
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:43:40 +0000

On 15 Mar 99 at 13:16, George Hartzell wrote:

>   2) Not that I want to put a filter on the front of it, but I
>   noticed
>      that either it's not threaded, or it has something screwed in.
>      There's what looks like a glass-less filter as the last thing
>      on the lens, it says VII on one side and 14161 Canada on the
>      other side.
>
>      Actually, now that I apply some force, it spins off like a
>      filter too, but no glass. Hmmmm.  A device to Prevent One From
>      Using a Filter?   How Leica-ish...

This is a retaining ring to hold Series 7 in place.  They are
essentially disks of glass surrrounded by a metal band, without
threading.

>   3) If I shine a flashlight through the lens from the front, and
>      carefully (boy, is it bright when you look straight into it)
>      look at the elements, there's a small blotch of white on what
>      seems to be the inside of the rear element.
>
>      It doesn't seem to come off w/ lens cleaning paper and fluid,
>      so I *think* it's on the inner surface of the element.
>
>      My guess is that this is the dreaded fungus that I've heard so
>      much about.

That's what it sounds like, especially if it looks a little like a
small tuft of cotton.  I've got the same thing inside a Nikon 75mm
enlarging lens which, in truth, did not affect performance as far as
I could see, and I used the lens regularly for 5x7 35 mm prints.
However, I've put that particular optic aside.

>      Will is get bigger?
>
>      Am I more likely for my other lenses to develop fungus if I
>      store them w/ this "infected" lens?
>
>      I'm assuming that if I make some test shots, and don't see have
>      any trouble, that the blotch must be small enough to not be an
>      issue.  Is there anything in particular (e.g. flary
>      situations?) that I should test?
>
>      The lens was rated Ex, and no mention was made of the blotch.
>      Should I feel misled?

IMHO, the fungus is a valid reason for a return.

Roy