Subject: [Leica] Leica other lenses
From: "Ian Hughes" <iwhughes@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:51:16 -0000

I too have looked around at alternatives.  As Jeremy Klime says, the
Kobalux/Avenon/Pasoptik from Japan is available.  Here in England, Photo
Design Studios imports them.  Telephone +44 1271 870067.  The standard
fitting is LTM, but it also comes with a screw to bayonet adaptor.  21mm is
£495 + £95 for the finder which is sold separately, a 28mm is also
available.  The 28 performs marginally better than the 21.  Roger Hicks
reviewed them in the British Journal of Photography.  Whilst not out and out
raving about them, said (and these are his words not mine - no flame wars
please), that they were well built and perform better than the old Angulons,
but not as well as the pre- ASPH Elmarits, and obviously the ASPH Elmarits
are better still.  I suppose if your photography demands the ultra wide more
than your pocket can afford them, then they're a good purchase.  If you need
the micro definition, then you're probably better to save up and go for the
Leica alternatives.  Also, consider this, how many OEM lenses do you see
advertised in the photographic press?  Not many - are they so good that we
Leica owners hold onto them, or conversely is the market so poor, that
dealers can't sell them?

Looking into the light - Ian