Subject: [Leica] Re: rollei pressure plate
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:36:05 EST

>I know some LUGger has the answer to this:
>- -- I have recently purchased a Rolliflex twin lens camera and have noted
>that the pressure plate has a setting for 6x6 and for 24x36mm.  What
>does this second setting do?  does it take smaller images on 120 film?
>Adapter for 35mm film???  what the?  Need some help with this.  Don't
>exactly know a model ID, but it has a 3.5 Tessar lens and is the typical
>twin lens setup otherwise.

most models of rolleiflex automats (the ones with the film feeler so you don't
have to line up arrows on the paper backing with arrows in the camera while
device which included a film counter, a mask for the viewfinder , an insert to
provide film tracks in the film channel, and special spacers and a take-up
spool. Rollei lenses are of such high quality that you can use them for 35mm
film and still get excellent quality images.

The pressure plate in your camera has two settings to allow for the fact that
35 mm film, lacking a paper backing, is not as thick as 120 film, which has a
paper backing. Setting it on the 35mm setting moves the pressure plate just a
teeny bit closer so the 35 mm film will be held properly flat. Setting it so
you can read the 120 or 6 X 6 indicators moves it away just a tiny bit for the
same reason. If you look along the edge of the pressure plate you can see it
has two sets if very tiny feet that are shifted against little stops to do
this.

So, if you want, you can buy a Rolleikin device -- later models of Rollei had
a film counter knob already installed, so there are several models of the
Rolleikin device. They cost about $100. A Rollei dealer would know which model
camera you have, or if you can send me the seriel number of yours (found on
the top of the camera in front of the focusing hood), plus any pertinent
details (X and M synch?  Self timer? Bayonettes on taking and viewing lens? )
I can look it up in my Rollei reference book.

Whatever model you have, it is a fine camera, built to the same standards as
the Leicas the guys on the LUG always rave about.

charlie trentelman
ogden, utah 84403