Subject: Re: [Leica] existential pleasures of engineering (2)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 12:27:48 -0600 (CST)

Dan and Tom,

First, Tom I intended to offend no one, and didn't....Dan, yes,
there are many in most fields who will pay for unmeasurable (in USE,
not in the laboratory) "best".....this is the premise that the
entire industry of "high-end" home audio is based on.....even the
proponents of the highest end equipment are unwilling to accept
that even THEY can't tell the difference.....that's why they
discredit ANY kind of objective testing, even of their own
equipment with THEM as the judge!!!....it just doesn't exist...
There is no difference in a 3" patch cable from radio shack and
a $1000 platinum/silver 'interconnect'....not even the owner will
attempt to prove otherwise, nor will the seller....with their OWN
ears....

The quality of the tools matters only to the user, and the quality
of the photograph is a different matter altogether, usually
99% independent of the tools.....the Canonet GIII (good quality)
really DOES produce the same GOOD/BAD result as the M6/35 asph....

That being said, I like Leica cameras/lenses, Collins radio,
Fender (American) and G&L guitars, homebrew audio with the finest
components, etc........I just don't try to justify their purchase
or use based on results....even to myself.

Walt

On