Subject: Re: [Leica] existential pleasures of enhineering (1)
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:39:32 -0500

I agree basically with what Erwin says, but quible a bit with some
definitions.  I was  bothered by assumptions made by some LUGers that there
is something wrong with finding a less expensive alternative for M-mount
lenses.  As Erwin is basically saying (forgive me, Erwin, for putting
(possibly incorrect) words in your mouth),  this is perfectly permissable
if that is what that particular Leica user wishes.

My other point is that Erwin asks, and I'm paraphrasing, "what is wrong
with trying to use the best optics available?"   The answer is nothing at
all, except it is evident from LUGers comments that many here prefer the
look produced by older generation lenses, and not just because HCB used
them.   They refer to things such as "bokeh", that may be apparently less
desirable in modern optics.   For them, the older lenses are the better
ones, in spite of scientific testing evidence to the contrary.  I am not
sure I agree this viewpoint, but it is certainly held by many, and I'm not
about to dispute it.  I can only speak for my own experiences.  So no one
will delibertly hold on to a lens that he/she thinks is inferior, if they
can help it.  It is just that their definition of inferior/superior may be
different from others.

Dan C.

[snip]