Subject: Re: [Leica] PX 625 Batteries
From: "David L. Duff" <duffdl@uswest.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 1999 15:01:21 -0800

Keith H. St. John wrote:

> It is my understanding that PX 625(mercury) battery is the only battery
> to be used in Leica meters, not the alkaline EPX625's.  The EPX625 will
> end up frying the circuit board of the meter.  Does anyone have a good
> source to obtain the mercury batteries in the USA?
> -Keith St. John
>     Philadelphia
Keith, I've been well pleased with the C.R.I.S. MR-9 (PX-625 to MS-76)
adapter in both my MR-4 and my Rollei 35. For thirty bucks apiece you
won't have to ever worry about that problem again. And yes, they really
do convert the MS-76 to 1.3 volts. I stocked up on PX-625's and put
several in the refrigerator when I heard they were on the way out here
in the U.S.. And alternating between the two (real PX-625 vs. adaptor
with MS-76) I couldn't detect any difference in meter readings, nor
voltages with my VOM. The MS-76's in adaptor also outlast those Wein
Air-Cells by about 12 to 1, so thirty dollars might seem steep, but at
least its a viable (not fryable) alternative. You can find 'em on the
web at: http://www.criscam.com/index.html . Good luck, David.