Subject: RE: [Leica] Need Lens advice, please help!
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 11:58:17 -0500

> 2. What focal length?

	There are a lot of 50s and 35s around, used, at fairly good prices.
I for one use a 50 summicron a lot, but many people do not like this
perspective.  In my opinion, probably the best deal in a lens available now
is a good used pre-aspheric f2/35.  I and many photographers use 35s a great
deal, and it is in the wider rather than the longer lenses that I think
rangefinders excel.  The pre-aspheric summicron, despite what you've read
recently, is a great lens.  I have both and use the older version more.  It
has better bokeh because, I believe, it has two more diaphragm blades than
the aspheric.

> 3.  What is important?

	Unless you really need that one extra stop, I would go for the
summicrons over the summiluxes.  The pre-aspheric 35 summilux that I used
was a real pooch, though some people swear by its "special qualities."

		Buzz Hausner