Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica M for studio work
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:06:56 -0800

IMHO...

Studio work comes in all flavors. When someone says "studio work", it is
usually thought of as elaborate "still" setups. Products. Soap, cars, beer,
etc. This kind of "studio" photography requires a ground glass camera. From
the smallest (35mm SLR) to the middle (Hasselblad, RB67, etc), to the
largest (8x10 view camera). View cameras meant for the studio are called
"studio views". Anyway... the studio photographer is usually following a
layout and brainfart from some advertising agency. The photographer is
attempting to capture, on film, what's in the mind of the Ad director. The
only way to accomplish this is to use a camera that has a ground glass.
This way you can see the effects of lights, filters, gels, DOF, flare,
reflections, etc... This is pretty much impossible with a RF camera. Not
pretty much... it is impossible.

However... fashion photography is a free form of photography and an M
camera will work quite well. There is usually nothing unusual to detect on
a ground glass. Lighting is usually very simple. A softbox. And since the
subject is moving much of the time, being able to follow the "action" with
an RF camera just might have an advantage.

I think Brian was thinking about the former, not the latter.

Jim