Subject: [Leica] Re: Silver Recovery
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 09:38:48 -0800

It has been known by the silver recovery industry, for over 20 years, that
silver was erroneously placed on the "hazardous" waste list. But the
industry didn't complain as it meant more equipment sales. Just recently, I
read (don't remember where) that this (Ag) was being re-evaluated as a
"hazardous" waste. Mercury and other exotic metals yes. Silver/Gold no.

I'm not an expert. But as I said, I designed two lines of computer
controlled silver recovery products. The companies I worked for, as well as
the refiners, (their chemists) used to laugh at the EPA regulation. The
worst part of recovery is at the refiners. They use a very very toxic
Cyanide based process for raw recovery. And then have to dispose of the
Cyanide.

Like putting MTBE in our gasoline.

Stupid!

Causes more problems than it solves.