Subject: RE: [Leica] Summicron 35/2 wide open
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 19:42:27 -0600 (CST)

Actually, Dan, the answer is maybe.....most significant photos
of the century COULD have been shot with an Argus C3 (if it was
clean and in 'adjusted' condition)...if reproduced as intended
(i.e., printed page and/or 8x12" prints viewed on the gallery
wall)

In fact, look at the Leica "god" -- HCB!!!  few if any of his
photos COULDN"T have been shot with the C3....

I have carried a C4 (same optics, nicer finder) with my leicas,
and shot very nice negatives with it ($20, mint)...the negs
are "sharp" but have "bokeh" not unlike older SM Leitz offerings...
I have a very fine portrait shot with same....eyes are sharp,
but the out of focus background has a very nice "flarey" effect!

Many of our photographic "greats" worked with Leicas/lenses of the
dismal early 50s era, and they probably were in questionable
condition (no "protective" filters...) or dirty/misadjusted...
and yes, they turned out some of the finest that photography has
offered to date....so yes, a clean/adjusted Argus would've equalled
them...in the same capable hands....

I like my toys.....but I still haven't equalled an Argus in the
hands of Gene Smith or David Douglas Duncan or ???

Walt

On
Sun,
7