Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 35/2 wide open
From: Mary & Stan Kephart <kephartol@att.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 99 06:22:36 -0500

>I think that there are a lot of people who are obsessed with sharpness.
>They diligently compare lens charts and are most unhappy when their present
>lens is not "up to par".  Many members of the Contax Club to which I belong
>talk only of sharpness and nothing else whenever they do camera small talk.
> They were most surprised when I brought up the subject of Bokeh.  That is
>going to change  over time because many Contax owners also own leica gear
>and thanks to Brian Bowers' recent Lens Book, the issue of Bokeh is now
>perpetually imprinted in black and white.
>
>To me, photography is an artform and the older 35/2 still delivers the
>goods better than my asph version.

Hi Dan,

Thanks to all of you who have written on this subject.  My original
question was not the result of an "obsession with sharpness," but an
effort to understand what is considered normal performance for this lens.
 Based on the comments I've gotten here, I'm inclined to keep it, and
rather than buy the new aspheric, go for the wider angle (21).

Thanks again,

MK