Subject: Re: [Leica] great photographers
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 17:59:22 -0800

David Medley wrote:
RE: Bill Allard

> I have a couple of his books and in my mind, he is indeed an artist.
> Interesting that he is going back to the M's, which I believe he used early
> in his career. I think that most of his work in the past few years has been
> done with Leica R's. Annie Griffiths Belt was here in the neighborhood last
> year and I ask her why he had gone back on staff after all of the earlier
> problems at Geographic. She thought his main reason was the fact that he had
> a new family, with a young son, and needed to provide a little more
> stability for the family.

I knew him in the 70s at Geographic and I was in one critical meeting
that eventually led to his resignation.  I felt, at the time, as he
did:  cynical about the magazine's refusal to use anything with guts,
though the Illustrations Editor's favorite term was "gutsy" to describe
what he liked.  The magazine only wanted (wants?) images that don't
reflect a photographer's persnality.

We spoke of that time when I saw him recently and I am happy to report
he seems to have shrugged off much of that cynicism.  It may be from
simple resignation, financial imperative, or wisdom of the years.  I
choose to believe the later.  Besides, he has proven to himself and
anyone that has tried to rep him in the commercial  or run-and-gun
editorial world that he just doesn't fit.

> I just hope he doesn't trade in the pickup truck for a mini van!  Hero
> worship only goes so far...

Well, I drive a 78 Jeep Grand Wagoneer with lots of "character."  Does
that count?

donal

- --
Donal Philby