Subject: [Leica] Barnack, Zeiss, and Leitz
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 14:37:43 -0500

At 10:55 AM 1999-03-03 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>The latest I've read is that Barnak brought his
>camera design over from Zeiss because they STHEO* kept making him sweep
>the floors!
>* something to the effect of

No, Barnack was a foreman mechanic at Zeiss, and hardly swept floors.

It is immensely more complex than that.  Barnack was a product of the older
school of German optical production;  he had come up as an apprentice and
had worked his way up without much formal schooling.  He worked for Zeiss
for some years as a microscope designer, but that concern had been the
first in Germany to place a premium on the possession of a college degree
or equivalent certification.  And Barnack was an asthmatic:  as such, he
wished to be placed on the Zeiss medical-health-insurance plan but, at the
time, this was restricted to management only, and he was simply a foreman.
Zeiss sent him to ICA in an attempt to circumvent this restriction, but it
didn't work.

At that time, Barnack's friend, Mechau, had been hired by Leitz and talked
the Leitz people into offering Barnack a job which did include the desired
medical insurance coverage, along with a house and unlimited sick-leave.
So, Barnack jumped ship and became the head of mechanical design at Leitz,
working on microscopes and similar technical gear.

All of this occurred some time before Barnack ever dreampt of the UR-Leica.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!