Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: website comments
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:45:31 -0800

From: Roger Beamon <roger@beamon.org>

>Straight forward, direct and matter-of-fact are qualities that
>many besides Italians greatly admire, Joe. Profanity, however, >is
unnecessary to achieve those qualities.

It is said that in centuries past it was high society to indulge in
profanity. Once the plebes began to use foul language, the higher classes
abandoned the practice (obviously they did not want to be compared to the
lowly peasants).
Be it historically true or not, I agree with you Roger. It goes without
saying that profanity degrades any discourse and that profane are they who
believe that gutter language enhances any conversation.
This reminds me of one of my mother's many sayings. Meaning  to justify the
pleasures of rich foods she would say:  "Decadence is what comes out of ones
mouth, not what goes in".

Joseph Codispoti