Subject: [Leica] Mirror up, R8 vs. M6
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 08:05:55 -0600

At 10:29 PM 3/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>        I suspect the reason images are sharperat slow speeds with the
> rangefinder
>cameras is probably due ( provided everything else is equal) to the mirror

That would be correct. But the R8 can often help avoid this problem. You
can use the mirror-up capability when shooting many subjects. I use it with
portraits some times, or when I'm hand-holding at 1/2 second or faster. You
laugh. A half second with an R8? Hand held?

Yep, and as long as the film supply is generous, and the subject isn't
moving, the mirror-up on the R8 makes it quite possible. Many losses, but a
few winners makes possible a picture when you forget to bring along the
tripod. When someone else is paying for the film, no big deal. :-)

That's because the first time you press (in this situation very lightly)
the mirror goes up and waits for the second press. Watch the subject with
your other eye, (the one not looking in the viewfinder) as you press the
shutter for a second time. No difference, in this case, from the M6,
essentially, because any mirror impact is already over. In fact with more
body mass, it might be better, but the M6 isn't all that much of a lightweight.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He who laughs last thinks slowest!