Subject: [Leica] Re: Feedback sought on Colour Heads & Analysers
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 21:27:45 -0800

You all should listen to Mike Turner. He successfully owned and operated a
professional lab, for many years, here in Silicon Valley. The only reason
the lab is not there today is because of greedy landlords. Space is scarce
here in SV. Prices have gone sky high. Mike's work is exemplary. He knows
exactly what he is talking about.

Jim

At 08:47 PM 3/1/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Robert G. Stevens wrote:
>
>> Jim:
>>
>> I have a colorstar 2000 and found that with typical slides, it is hard to
>> use it to analyse the colour.  For example, a colour analzer must be zeroed
>> for a certain tone.  In portraits, you would pick a fleash tone.  In the
>> ideal situation, you would have a grey card in the image to read off.  But
>> life is not that simple.  In a typical scenic, where do you find the grey
>> tone, or the white tone, or the flesh tone that you set the analzer to?  I
>> find using my normal filter pack and the exposure calculation of the
>> colorstar gets me there within one test print.
>>

>Quite right...
>

>> I gave Akhil the simple answer that he did not need one because he is
>> probably best to start out simple and get the anayzer later if he thinks he
>> needs it.  Most people do not go to the bother of making a mask and
>> figuring out contrast ratios when they are beginners.  When was the last
>> time you did a contrast mask for Ilfochome prints.?  I myself have never
>> done it.  When was the last time you made an Ilfochrome print?  I did a few
>> weeks ago.
>>

>Masks can be made easily withough the use of an analyzer or densitometer.
I mask
>4x5's routinely. I do 35's only as a last resort.
>

>> As far as I know, Ilfochrome only comes in regular and medium contrast, but
>> I may be wrong. All I buy is the medium contrast.  I find slightly
>> underexposed slide in a bracketed series seem to print the best on this
>> medium contrast Ilfochrome.  The old Cibachrome was indeed too contrasty
>> for most slides without masking.  Is the Kodak masking film still
>> available?  Don't you need a pin registered carrier to use it?
>>

>No, it's not :(. You can use TMX and lots of diffusion film :(. Yes, you
do need
>a pin registered carrier, especially with 35mm.
>

>> Jim, you must remember in photography there is always more than one way to
>> solve a problem.  My father always taught me that when confronted with a
>> problem in life, you better have more than one solution to it or you have
>> not thought of the problem hard enough.  I was just giving Akhil another
>> solution to use (Kodak clour print viewing filters) other than a colour
>> analyzer.
>>

>Analyzer's a waste of money for printing Ciba's from transparencies.
Wedding and