Subject: [Leica] Re: Feedback sought on Colour Heads & Analysers
From: "Michael D. Turner" <mike@lcl-imaging.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 20:18:06 -0800

Akhil Lal wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>                 I'm getting interested in making Ilfochrome prints from my
> Kodachrome slides. I know there are many LUG'ers doing colour printing and
> would greatly appreciate feedback on the following items, some of which I
> may have to buy second-hand:
>
> 1. Colour Heads: any preference between Durst or Omega ? How long do the
>    dichroic filters last ? Any way to tell, before purchase if the filters
>    are NG ? Do these companies support older units ? Phone Numbers ?

Dichroics don't wear out unless you clean them too agressively. Either is
fine--just choose which enlarger you prefer...

> 2. I am leaning towards the Beseler PM 2 A analyser. What do LUG'ers think
>    of this model ?  Any alternatives ?

IMHO, analysers have limited utility except to re-establish a filter pack for
a non closed-loop head. No use at all for printing transparencies otherwise.
Don't waste your money.

> 3. Has anyone on this list used either the Philips or Minolta (both out of
>    production for a long time) additive colour heads ? Are the worth
>    seeking out now ?

I have a Minolta, hardly used, I could sell you. I haven't used it in 10
years. It's nice, but you will find that it is not so great for printing
Ilfochrome. If you mask (highly recommended) the exposure tiimes will be
long. The Minolta head will overheat under these circumstances. If you
dodge/burn (almost always required), this will be a major pain in the ....
with the Minolta. You are better off with the highest wattage conventional
head you can get. Consider the ZBE. It is truly wonderful.

Mike