Subject: [Leica] (Leica) Bounce Flash - Direct Flash
From: "Neil Miller" <plus_4@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:47:49 PST

I've been trying to follow up on this sooner. Sorry for the delay. I
offer the following as a way to use direct flash.

The responses to use of direct flash didn't surprise me. For the first
12 or so years I was involved seriously with photography I had very
strong feelings that direct on camera flash had very limited uses. My
35mm equipment consisted of two M2's, 35mm Summicron, 90mm Summicron and
a 65mm Elmar & a 200mm Tlyt with a visoflex III. Almost everything was
shot available light.

Two things happened that changed my opinion about flash usage and
particularly on camera direct flash. The first was the development of
the auto thyristor flash. The second was a series of Ansel Adams
Workshops I was involved in during the mid 70's. These events
supplemented the graduate photo program I was completing at Arizona
State University and gave me a new creative tool. I purchased a 21mm f:4
Super Angulon in 1974 and put it on one of the M2's with a Spiratone
thyristor flash. With the flash attached the 21mm viewfinder is not
available. It sounds very basic. This has proven to be the ultimate
point and shoot!

For the past 24 years I have used this same camera with 100 asa B&W film
and have produced some of the most surprising images.  Most of the
photographs are of spontaneous action under dim to dark conditions. A
situation that would be impossible to capture with available light. The
viewfinder isn't needed because if you used one the action could be
affected by the presence of a shooting posture. Or, the action (decisive
moment) would be past by the time the camera reached your eye. Another
benefit is that the camera position doesn't have to be at the eyes
position. This makes a very fluid response possible. The approximately
90 degree angle of view conforms nicely to what your eyes can see. It
takes practice but it is amazing how accurate you can get.  The shutter
speed can vary from 1/50 sec. down to 1/8 sec. depending on how much
ambient light is available.  I seem to use 1/15 sec. the most. The
distance involved can range from 1 foot to approximately 8 feet. I
prefer to shoot close to the subject.

Surprisingly you can shoot in this manner and much of the time people
are oblivious to what you are doing. If they do catch on your
interaction can develop into more image possibilities. The flash itself
should be close to the lens. Mine is about 4". This combined with the
wide angle lens eliminates most of the distracting shadows.

Properly applied this can give results that will freeze the action and
have a quality that will make the fact that flash was used irrelevant.
One further point that I should mention is that of the exhibition work
shot in this manner only 3-4 images have cropping on one dimension. The
balance are full frame prints.  This is not to say that you can see the
final framing while shooting. It is just that the fluidness allows you
at times to capture a complete image. You never really know what you
have until the film is processed.

Just a thought that 21mm Leica shooters may find interesting.

Neil