Subject: RE: [Leica] OFF-TOPIC: gamma setting for webpages
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@imaginet.fr>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 00:14:22 +0100

Hi Pascal,

Here is how I unserstand gamma. I may be wrong and I will be happy if
someone could correct me. Sorry for the bad english.

Monitors react to a signal sent by the video card. Theorically, it should be
a linear function.  Let's say we want to go from 1 to 10. If the card sends
a signal of 1, intensity of a pixel should be one, for a signal of value 2,
intensity should be 2, and so on up to 10.

But actually, monitors don't react with a linear function but with a
function we can write like "signal power gamma". So instead of the couples
1->1, 2->2...10->10, with a gamma of 1.2 we get 1->1, 2->2.3,
3->3.7,...6->8.6, 7->10 (10.33 actually but the monitor can go up to 10
only). So signals 7 to 10 will draw the same pixel. When you tell your
sofware that you have a monitor with a gamma of 1.2, it sends a signal
corrected as "signal power 1/gamma". For example, instead of sending the
signal 2, it computes 2 power 1/1.2 = 1.8 and sends 1.8 instead of 2. The
monitor does 1.8 power 1.2 = 2. So we have again a linear intensity.

What does it mean ? IF you configure your system with the good gamma, you
will have a linear reaction to a signal. If another system presents a
different gamma, it will display the same image than the first one, provided
it is well configured too.

So, you don't need to (you should not) correct pictures depending on the
gamma of your system.   Scan so you have a decent picture on YOUR screen
whatever machine you have. All other machines in the world (PCs or Macs)
should (theorically of course) display the same image.

A last word. I doubt that general sentences like "PC have a gamma of x, Macs
a gamma of y" could be true. IMHO, it depends a lot more on the monitor
model and the video card.

Hope this helps,

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)