Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Well... many more of you will hate me now. (off topic, long)
From: Byron Rakitzis <byron@rakitzis.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 01:36:53 -0800

Without trying to offend the journalists I was wondering...

Has anyone here seen the documentary film about Chomsky's "Manufacturing
Consent"? I think it addresses fairly well the institutional biases
which Jim is alluding to. The example which Chomsky trots out over and
over is the number of column inches which the New York Times devoted to
the stories in Cambodia and in East Timor. The ratio was something like
100:1 (in any case, a very large number).

Well, I thought I would throw that out for discussion, since I found the
documentary to be really interesting. He also casts barbs at a few other
institutions, not just the press. My favorite quote was from Chomsky, who
said something like "professional team sports are training in irrational
jingoism". When you think about, say, soccer hooligans, he's not far off.

Byron.