Subject: [Leica] Re: olympus vs leica
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 10:52:02 -0800

Olympus has some excellent lenses and some very fine bodies. I have a marine
biologist friend who swears by Olympus. He spent several summers in Antarctica
(and one winter, which he said was dreadfully long). His equipment performed
well under some very brutal conditions.  I've seen his work numerous times, and
I'm always impressed by the technical and asthetic qualities.

Still, I don't think Olympus has anything which compares to the likes of the
70-180/2.8 APO or the 180/2.8 APO from Leica. Nor does Olympus, or any other
manufacturer, make lenses that are across the board as durable as Leica lenses.
Construction quality as well as optical excellence -- and the two may go hand in
hand -- are Leica's heritage. That's why I think Leica should be especially
responsive to some of the mechanical problems I've heard about recently on the
LUG.

OTOH, I heard the same horror stories about early F4 and F5s when used Nikon.
Years ago I had a shutter bounce problem with an early FM and F2, so early
production model problems are not something new. Sometimes I think we expect
more from Leica, because the lenses are more expensive. But an R8 is less
expensive than an F5.

Dave