Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Eric-loading an M6
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 04:38:19 EST

Yea Eric.....I'm not the only one that dreads loading these things.  I became
paranoid when I shot an entire roll without the film being attached to the
takeup spool.  That was a year ago and I sinced learned to lift up the small
handle on the rewind knob to make sure it moves when I advance the film.  Pain
in the butt!

Thanks for your patience and sense of humor.  How much film do you pull
through the take up spool before you close the back?

15 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Bedwell

<< > There you go, futzing around with it. :-)

 > Just lay it in there. That big round thing that pressed down on the takeup
 > spool takes care of all that junk. Leica put it there for a very good
 > reason. It works. Trust it.
 >
 > But I'm not sure what you mean by ubiquitous crimp near the film leader.
 > What do you mean by that? What crimp?

 I think she means when you extract the film leader from the cassette,
 there is a crease where the film has been folded as it sat in the
 plastic canister. I can't do this without a picture:

 		---
 	      /     \
 	     |	xxx  |
 	     |	xxx  |
 	      \	 x  /
 		---xxxxxxxxx
 		   ^

 		   CRIMP FORMS RIGHT HERE

 This is a view from on top, and the x's are the film. Because the
 way the part of the leader which sticks out is pressed against the
 wall of the plastic film canister, you get a crease. So when you
 pull the film out all the way to load the camera, it looks this:

 		---
 	      /     \
 	     |	xxx  |
 	     |	xxx  |
 	      \	 x  /
 		---xxxxxxxxx
 			    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 What ends up happening for me is that the crimp gets caught somewhere
 to the right of the shutter curtain, but well before the takeup spool.
 I usually must open the back of the M6 and help it along in there
 using my fingers.