Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 CLA
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:54:13 -0600 (CST)

Hi, MikeH....r.e. your $65 adjustment...first, I think it's fair
today....now one could say that IF it required only infinity adjustment,
truly, and NO vertical adjustment, it was a 5 minute job, external
to the camera...   BUT:

In l980 I worked in a shop.  We had a $48.50 minimum.....shops
HAVE to have a minimum....if your battery was dead, it was $48.50.
If your camera locked up because you didn't know there was film
in it, it was $48.50....period....however, for $48.50, you got
an exterior and film chamber cleaning, lens cleaning, shutter
check and curtain travel time adjustment, meter check (if any),
etc....about 20-30 minutes, regardless.  It's these minimums that
allow a shop to stay in business....now here comes the flame
bait!!!!   If shops did these adjustments for free, or for $5,
Leica owners (as well as SOME others) would line up outside the
door every other day with a "problem"....I've seen it!  We had
"regulars" that "needed" something every few days (scratched
hot shoes replaced, speck of dust removed from lens, you get the
picture)

I'd rather do six of the $48 repairs (now $65-75, I guess) than
ONE shutter curtain job (3+ hours, $40 parts, $150 job then, now
probably $225)

Of course, if your M6 (or M4P) needed vertical adjustment, $65 was
VERY reasonable.....and I assume you got all the requesite "exit"
tests (no one in their right mind would send a camera out without
checking the shutter and auto diaphragm-SLR only, of course)

My hat is off to those who stuck with camera repair....I don't have the
patience with either the gear or the "problem" customer (about 10%,
as I recall)  I don't think you could have any service done to
ANYTHING much cheaper (even a tune up on my 4-cyl Nissan is more
than that) and I'm glad you were happy.....to some, an infinity
adjustment (ONLY!) on an M for $65 would be highway robbery, but
ask them what they do for a living and how much they charge for
an office visit!  Or to answer a couple of legal or tax questions...

Walt

On