Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Finances
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:43:53 -0500

 Larry Wrote - After Analyzing Leica Sales Figures -
M system sales are up 5.8%. Compact camera sales are up 54.5%. .. And R
system sales are down 33.6%.

Comparing just this year's 3-month 3rd quarter (which includes the
Christmas selling season) with last year's is equally telling. Net sales
are up 6%. The breakout by product line: M system sales up 18.7%. Compact
camera sales up 30.6%. Binocular sales up 18.2%.

Projector sales down 6.6%. R system sales down 33.9%.
- ---
And I wrote a few hours earlier ...

Prediction - If Leica is going to survive as a manufacturer of serious photo
gear - as opposed to just P&S - some time in the next 12 to 24 months they
will abandon the R line. Additionally, I'd be willing to be that the recent
spate of M lens development we've seen is the end of M lens development.
- ---

Well, we'll see...But no manufacturer of anything is in business today to
take a loss....