Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL RF Misalignment
From: Edward Kowaleski <edwardkg@umd.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 17:22:11 -0500 (EST)

For any of the LUG user group that is interested, I messed up the rf
alignment on an M6TTL by the improper use of a Metz 40MZ-3i and the SCA
3501 modual.  Unlike the SCA unit I use with an R7, the SCA3501 modual
has a "securing" pin that engages the M6TTL body and locks the Metz shoe
into
the M6 as you rotate the know around the foot of the Metz to tighten
the contact.  It all works
very well if you remember to completely disengage the securing pin by
rotatting the knob completely counter-clockwise when you are finished..  If
you do not do
this the foot binds in the M6TTL's hot shoe and if you tug too hard it
distorts the top of the M6 and the focusing alignment is screwed up as
well as the flash sync. You are almost as vulnerable if you use the new
SF20 unit from Leica.  It does not weight as much as the Metz unit but
you can still put sdome real torque on the hot shoe if you are not paying
attention.

I know it is stupid and it sounds stupid: who would ever forget to
disengage the securing pin! Ha!  I bet Leitz sees a few of these come
back for repair.

I have found that one can use both the Leica SF20 and Metz 40MZ-3i off
camera with a Nikon SC 17 extention cord. You can ignore screwing down
the securing pin if you use the flash off camera with the SC 17.

Ed Kowaleski