Subject: Re: [Leica] Definition of a Professional
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:40:21 EST

Sieu:

Sorry, I don't agree with much that you have said.  Perhaps you have been
reading from a different list than I.

I am not a pro and I certainly don't aspire to be one.  I just don't want to
work that hard.  I think that most of the LUGGERS agree that being a
professional photographer is a total commitment and there is very high
appreciation for what they do.  I think that the members of this group look up
to professionals.  Of course, the type of camera that you own does not make
you a professional.  It is the person behind the camera and their experience
and knowledge that makes them a professional.   However,   I think that it is
safe to say that most of the camera manufacturers would go out of business if
they depended solely on the professional to support it.

I also don't understand your statement that the people, other than
professionals, that own those cameras really know nothing about photography.
I, as well as, probably 98% of the other LUGGERS will find this comment one of
the most stupid comments that I have ever read.  I don't think that the
professionals among this group will agree that they have exclusive knowledge
about photography.  There is not a day goes by that I don't learn something
and if you don't feel the same you better start looking harder.  In  my forty
plus years of being an amateur photographer I have never heard anyone say that
buying a pro camera makes them a pro.

Yes, I certainly agree with part of what you said and that is that owning a
pro camera does not make you a pro.  There is knowledge, experience,
intelligence, honesty, integrity, dependability and character that allows you
to relate to people in a manner that they maintain their own self esteem.   If
I have violated any of these please accept my apology.

Bob Bedwell

<< Hi,

 I have been reading this topic with lot of interest. I just would like to add
 my 2 cents.

 I think that serious amateurs should know that being pro is not easy. I think
 that those who say "just need to have a pro camera and you are a pro
 photographer", those people know really NOTHING about photography, and in
this
 case, it is a waste of time to argue with those people.

 For those who think that being pro is so easy "just get an M6, Blad, P67, F5,
 EOS-1 .... and become pro" ... I just ask those people one question:
 "Why don't you do it? Quit your job and open your business"

 Regards,

 SH >>