Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Definition of a Professional
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 06:41:03 -0800

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>My basic tactic for dealing with hacks and people that are an
>embarrassment in this business is:
>OUTLAST THEM
>They usually don't persist.
>Survival of the fittest with "fit" having at least two other meanings.>>>>>>

Hi Mark,

Sometimes I'm asked "who do you work for?" meaning what company. When I
respond, "Myself." They question,"You mean your a freelancer? Gee I tried
that for awhile and I didn't make any money, "YOU MUST BE VERY LUCKY, How
long have you been doing it?"  "Forty years! I respond....

"WOW YOU REALLY ARE LUCKY!" And you immediately know why they didn't make
any money! They seem to think there isn't any work involved. Some people
drive me crazy when they think all you do is go "click-click" make money.

"AND GET LUCKY!!"  if I got lucky as often as some folks think, hell I
wouldn't be able to walk around! ;)

"Taking pictures" has become so easy to exposing film with the auto
everything picture taking machines. that there are folks who imagine
themselves great photographers simply because the auto thing has given them
a properly exposed and in focus image. What they don't consider is the
human element which sorts out the professional from the button auto person.

The unfortuane side to the auto cameras is the people who think the pros
are over blown and over paid simply because they themselves have a "camera
like that and I take pretty good pictures with it.  Heck I might as well
take the company annual report photos this year."

Then when the annual report looks like crap sometimes they learn the
differecnce between themselves and the experienced professional. Often they
don't!
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant