Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tina's new web page; too much technology
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:49:55 +0100

Tina,
I had taken the last weeks LUG messages with me offline and was eager to see
your WEB site after all the talk about it.

Tomorrow I finally had the chance to have a look at it. Since you seemed to
have trouble with the WEB peculiarities themselves I will comment on things I
observed as well.

First I went to http://www.charweb.org/arts/open/tinamanley/

The image loaded in about 7 seconds. The green buttons at the bottom as well
as the counter were invisible until I pushed the link named 'Links'.

And now for something completely different:
The Picture 'Monueles Family Blessing'.
I have to confess that it took some time to get used to it. In other pictures
of yours it is the face that is illuminated, while here all the faces are so
dark.
Then I realized the meaning of it. They are looking to the inside of
themselves.

Next I went to
http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html

I like the sepia toning for two reasons:
 - it gives the pictures a warm expression, making it easier to get a
   connection to these pictures and the people they show
 - the uncommon toning shows, that there are other worlds besides our so
   called civilized world.

The Images:
'Oscar' is great. The sparkle in his eyes provides a direct connection from heart
to heart.

'Blessing' is too dark on this site (or in this size). I have really no chance
to appreciate it on my TFT-Display.

Just the same with 'Reading by candlelight'. I can see the woman's face but
the rest is practically invisible - hardly more dark and light spots. I am
sorry to say this, since I really WANT to like your pictures.

Again wonderful to be seen are 'Carlos' and 'Aman'.

BTW it is great to see the names of the persons shown on your pictures,
because it shows that you, the photographer, really establish a mental
connection to these people.

I could not find any colour pictures other people referred to, and meanwhile I
have deleted those messages. Could you please direct me to those pictures?

Thank you for sharing your great pictures with us.

christoph